Writers Plot Bookshop
A unique independent New Zealand bookshop for indie publishers, authors and discerning readers
We are reducing our shop hours from Tuesday 19 July 2022 for an indefinite period.
The shop is now only open from 10am till 2.30pm Tuesday to Saturday.
If the shop cannot open on a particular day – this information will be on our Facebook page.
Winners of the Art & Culture award at the 2022 Wellington Airport Regional Community Awards for Upper Hutt
Writers Plot Bookclub 2022
Welcome 2022 in with our new Bookclub reading challenges. This year we are doing something a little different and have an additional treat for our readers with a discounted book each month.
August 2022 Reading Challenge
- A recently released anthology
- A book that will make you laugh out loud
- A book you were gifted
- A love story
August 2022 Bookclub Challenge
Life Sentences – Shared Short Stories by Peter Beatson, Tony Chapelle, David Fountain.
(Use code BCCAUG22 for 15% discount and free shipping in NZ)
Writers Plot writing groups
Interested in writing? Love to write? Need some inspiration or motivation?
Then join one of our two Writing Groups!
1) every 3rd Saturday of the month at 11 am – SATURDAY 20 AUGUST 2022
2) every week for 6 weeks Thursdays at 11 am – WEDNESDAY TBA
- Talk with other writers, get feedback from the group.
- More information about our group on the writing group page
- What do you need from a writing group? Maybe we can help.
- All welcome. Refreshments provided. $5.
Want to join the writing group but the time and date don’t suit or you are not in Upper Hutt?
Then visit our Writers Plot Writers page on Ko-fi and become a member, OR donate a cup of coffee to help with our book challenge.
A haven for readers
- Read new books and meet local authors
- A Book a Month book club—a great Christmas or birthday idea
- Kid’s lucky dip books for $15
A home for writers
- We provide guidance and advice to those who want to write, continue writing or publish their work.
- We host writing groups, courses and workshops.
- Talk to us about editing, proofreading and beta reading your manuscript.
Under the guidelines for retail stores at “Orange,” nothing will change for us. Face masks are required in the shop, we’ll continue to have hand sanitiser available as well as displaying our Covid Tracer QR code. We can still sell you books and other items from our shop and website. You can make a purchase online and then pick it up in Upper Hutt.
Keeping our volunteers and customers safe is our priority, so please be patient and be kind to each other. Kia kaha.
Information is provided on the Covid 19.govt.nz website.
Newsletters Past and Present
You can find our recent newsletters at this link; while you can read older newsletters on our website.
Sign up to our mailing list and receive the newsletters with the latest news. The form is at the bottom of this page and the Newsletters from Writers Plot Bookshop page.
- Our author in focus this week: CB Landy
- July 2022 Reading Challenges
- Reporting back from Featherston Booktown Festival 2022
Crime and Thriller
Action & Adventure
Register with Wairarapa Word on Facebook to join.
Hosted by Almo’s Books, High St, Carterton.
Supported by Carterton District Creative Communities Scheme.
Hutt City FM 106.7 Community Radio Station
You can live stream the radio from their Facebook page or the Hutt City FM 106.7 website. We often give book reviews on Lisa Yung and Craig Wade’s Saturday morning magazine show. We will post times and books reviewed on the Facebook pages.
Address: 90 Main Street, CBD Towers, Upper Hutt, 5018.
Phone: (04) 528 5001
If you are looking for second-hand books – we support and recommend Liberty Books. If you can’t find what you are looking for, just ask the owner, Rhys. He’s amazing and has a great idea of what he has in the shop and where it is.
StorySoup – A Story Telling Prompt Generator
Hamish, one of our writing group members, has been working on this for several years and has now launched it into the world. StorySoup is a simple application that suggests basic story components you may like to use to create a story. Our writing group has used it when looking for inspiration for our writing challenges. Hamish has released StorySoup for free. Find out more and how to download it on the official StorySoup page.