Writers Plot Bookshop
A unique independent New Zealand bookshop for indie publishers, authors and discerning readers
Author focus 2022
Our author focus this week is – Bruce Melrose.
Bruce Melrose is the author of five novels following the exploits of John Kelly, an aspiring middle-distance runner, then unwitting coach, to a new generation of athletes who bring a whole raft of altogether different problems.
Recently, Bruce finished two action-adventure/thriller stories set in the South Pacific. His first novel, For Past Sins is due later this year, while Coconut Milk Run, is scheduled for 2023.
Bruce is currently penning another story, also set in the South Pacific, this one with a working title of Smuggler.
Writers Plot Bookclub 2022
Welcome 2022 in with our new reading challenges. This year we are doing something a little different and have an additional treat for our readers with a discounted book each month.
Writers Plot writing groups
Interested in writing? Love to write? Need some inspiration or motivation?
Then join one of our two Writing Groups!
1) every 3rd Saturday of the month at 11 am – SATURDAY 16 JULY 2022
2) every week for 6 weeks Thursdays at 11 am – WEDNESDAY TBA
- Talk with other writers, get feedback from the group.
- More information about our group on the writing group page
- What do you need from a writing group? Maybe we can help.
- All welcome. Refreshments provided. $5.
Want to join the writing group but the time and date don’t suit or you are not in Upper Hutt?
Then visit our Writers Plot Writers page on Ko-fi and become a member, OR donate a cup of coffee to help with our book challenge.
A haven for readers
- Read new books and meet local authors
- A Book a Month book club—a great Christmas or birthday idea
- Kid’s lucky dip books for $15
A home for writers
- We provide guidance and advice to those who want to write, continue writing or publish their work.
- We host writing groups, courses and workshops.
- Talk to us about editing, proofreading and beta reading your manuscript.
Under the guidelines for retail stores at “Orange,” nothing will change for us. Face masks are required in the shop, we’ll continue to have hand sanitiser available as well as displaying our Covid Tracer QR code. We can still sell you books and other items from our shop and website. You can make a purchase online and then pick it up in Upper Hutt.
Keeping our volunteers and customers safe is our priority, so please be patient and be kind to each other. Kia kaha.
Information is provided on the Covid 19.govt.nz website.
- Reporting back from Featherston Booktown Festival 2022
- We are a finalist in the Wellington Airport 2022 Regional Community Awards
- Our author in focus this week: Bruce Melrose
Crime and Thriller
Action & Adventure
Register with Wairarapa Word on Facebook to join.
Hosted by Almo’s Books, High St, Carterton.
Supported by Carterton District Creative Communities Scheme.
Hutt City FM 106.7 Community Radio Station
You can live stream the radio from their Facebook page or the Hutt City FM 106.7 website. We often give book reviews on Lisa Yung and Craig Wade’s Saturday morning magazine show. We will post times and books reviewed on the Facebook pages.
Address: 90 Main Street, CBD Towers, Upper Hutt, 5018.
Phone: (04) 528 5001
If you are looking for second-hand books – we support and recommend Liberty Books. If you can’t find what you are looking for, just ask the owner, Rhys. He’s amazing and has a great idea of what he has in the shop and where it is.
StorySoup – A Story Telling Prompt Generator
Hamish, one of our writing group members, has been working on this for several years and has now launched it into the world. StorySoup is a simple application that suggests basic story components you may like to use to create a story. Our writing group has used it when looking for inspiration for our writing challenges. Hamish has released StorySoup for free. Find out more and how to download it on the official StorySoup page.