In August 2003, three Dunedin residents dies suddenly from a mystery illness that caused pulmonary hemorrhage (bleeding into the alveoli or air sacs of the lungs). On the television news in the last week of August, a Dunedin doctor commented on the illness and mentioned that the anticoagulant effect in the blood was as though the patiebts had been infected with snake venom.
How could this be in a country which has no snakes?
A fascinating and well-written book is a wake up call to what could be happening in our midst, giving background on mystery illnesses and their origins.
Find out more about Donald Beswick